Official Website for Lincoln County, Nevada

www.lincolncountynv.org

Lincoln County Home Page > Meetings > County Commision Meeting Minutes

PROCEEDINGS OF THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF LINCOLN,
STATE OF NEVADA
March 25, 2008


#1-CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL/INVOCATION/PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
The Board met in special session with Chairwoman Ronda Hornbeck calling the meeting to order at 9:23. Clerk Lisa Lloyd called the roll with Commissioners Tommy Rowe, Paul Mathews, Ronda Hornbeck, Wade Poulsen and Bill Lloyd being present. There is a quorum present and the agenda was posted on 3-18-08 to comply with the open meeting law. The
Invocation is offered by Wade and Ronda led the Pledge of Allegiance. County Manager John Lovelady is present.

#2-FY 2008-2009 BUDGET HEARING
Dan McArthur is present for this item. Assessor Melanie McBride reviewed her budget requests. There is $10,000 for mapping, which will be for each year for the next three years, for a total of $30,000. This will give the Assessor’s office completely digitized maps. $5,000 will be removed for publications and moved to General County Miscellaneous. Postage
has increased. Melanie has requested a new vehicle with four doors as every time they go out into the field there are two of them and usually travel involves four of them. Capital outlay requests include $32,500 for the vehicle and the printer. Wade advised Melanie to budget $2,000 for ink to use the printer in the Building Department as opposed to buying a new
printer. Paul stated that there needs to be a policy for the use of the printer and access needs to be available for all who will use it. The printer was purchased with Building Department funds. Melanie is uncertain as to the volume she will be printing this year and she is concerned that BD will have problems with her using the printer due to the wear and tear if it
results in a large volume. Lisa pointed out that at the previous budget meeting Tracy increased the costs assessed to each department based on whether or not they use of the printer. This increase will allow for the purchase of ink and payment of maintenance for the BD printer. Tracy advised that the shared fees were assessed to the Clerk’s office, BD, Planning and the Assessor’s office. This year the cartridges were replaced twice in the printer and Tracy estimates that the upcoming budget year will see the cartridges replaced 2.5 times. Tracy also budgeted to replace the transfer plat for this printer. Ronda asked if it would be better to purchase another color printer as the one in the basement is already two years old. Paul stated that $2,000 should be budgeted for a large format black and white printer to be shared between Melanie and Kathy. Melanie can print color copies in the BD. The Board agreed to leave $2,000 for a b&w printer and Melanie will use the BD printer for color. All capital outlay will be removed with the exception of the $2,000 for the printer. $27,000 is left for
services & supplies. $11,000 is budgeted for the commercial estimator to be installed in the AS/400, which will allow for viewing on the internet in the future. This will be the actual appraisal program for commercial buildings like hotels, restaurants and casinos. Cathy LeFevre has advised that she doesn’t have the capability to include Melanie’s information on the county’s webpage; Melanie budgeted $12,000 for internet. A link will be included on the county’s website that will take the public to the Assessor’s ADS website. Cathy was unaware of the depth of need for the Recorder/Auditor, Assessor and Treasurer and doesn’t have the ability to meet the needs. $6,065 is budgeted for the ADS updates for already existing programs and is moved to the ADS fund. All IT will be removed and moved under a separate category, which means that $17,648 is removed from the Assessor’s budget. Marshal’s and Swift’s manuals is reduced to $500. $6,000 has been included for travel and reappraisal. This amount along with the $10,000 for mapping is what is pushing this budget above
the previously approved 3% increase. The Board agrees to put the commercial estimator, $11,000, on the wish list.
Melanie advised that per NRS she is supposed to have a searchable website for parcels, etc. Static information and links are the only things that the county’s current website provides. There is some discussion about the $40,000 website option that Tracy Lee had offered. The current estimate for Assessor, Treasurer and Recorder/Auditor to have their information on the
web is approximately $22,000. There is still another year and a half on Cathy’s contract. $36,300 is the total cost to make the proposed websites work together. Three of Melanie’s employees are involved in testing and will require classes for the next five years and fuel has increased; this results in increased travel/per diem fees. Salaries, as budgeted, meet the 3%.
Capital outlay will be moved to the capital outlay fund; IT is moved; $6,065 is moved to ADS; internet, $12,000, and estimator, $11,000, are moved to wish list; vehicle is moved to vehicle capital outlay; printer is at $2,000 and to be shared between Melanie and Kathy. $6,000 is left in travel and per diem and $10,000 is left for mapping. Panaca Fire District is addressed under separate agenda. Coyote Springs is discussed under separate agenda.

ADDENDUM ITEM
#5-ALAMO RODEO GROUNDS

Wendy Rudder advised the Board of what is occurring with the SNPLMA project in Alamo. The government took so long to get the money delivered that the concrete and several other materials had doubled in price. This has resulted in there not being enough money to complete the original project and several things had to be left out, including the announcer’s stand. The price for the steel is $57,000 and if it can’t be ordered immediately then the announcer’s stand will not be completed in time for the junior rodeo. This building will also allow for a national rodeo. From the beginning there was a commitment for the Junior Wrangler Finals for the state. Due to the timeline of receiving the money, the project cuts resulted in this time crunch. It took $1 million just to get the arena built. SNPLMA allows for contingency over and above the original request and the county can request up to $300,000. However, this funding would not be received or granted before the arena has to be used for the junior rodeo. The resulting shortfall is $169,000. The county is being asked for $57,000 to put
toward the purchase of the steel but there is no guarantee that it will be repaid. SNPLMA has a decreased amount of funding and entities have been asked to cut down projects to accommodate the available funds. The last project was still short $600,000 based on the cuts and it was resubmitted in this last round. If this $600,000 is given to the county it will go to the state parks project. Ronda advised that the Board shouldn’t get their hopes up that they will get this money. Phyllis has asked for $334,000 as bleachers were left off as well. Phyllis spoke with Jeremy concerning the chances of the county getting the money. Jeremy couldn’t guarantee anything and advised that it will be at least six weeks before anything is
known.

It has been heard that some of the people on the board that make the decision about the money aren’t happy that LC and White Pine are getting some of the money that they feel belongs to Clark County. Tommy advised that Toquop made funds available for certain things under education. The developers in Toquop, Coyote Springs have come up with some and there will be several investors coming up to serve SNWA. Tommy suggested that these people be asked to aid in funding the completion of SNWA. Tommy asked if SNWA has ever been asked to donate money. No. SNWA can’t make donations as they are a governing body. The biggest cost of this is the engineered steel. The labor is the larger portion of the cost. Paul stated that if the county is writing the check there needs to be an agreement in place for reimbursement.

Next year’s SNPLMA funds will be committed to finishing existing projects as opposed to funding new projects. Ronda suggested that Wendy look at leasing an announcer’s stand and then apply next year for completion of the projects that weren’t finished. Phyllis advised that there is a SNPLMA round in August. Wendy advised that they are looking at several
different options, including private donors. Wendy said that if they rent an announcer’s box, they don’t have anything to set it on. It will take six weeks or more for delivery of the steel. The $334,000 application has been submitted and is in the process but it will be the first week of May before Phyllis hears anything. Ronda suggested that Wendy contact Matt Davis, Olympia Group, and Spencer Hafen, BLT.

#2-FY 2008-2009 BUDGET
District Attorney budget is now discussed. Greg Barlow advised that savings were achieved last year compared to the year before. $42,874 is the amount requested for services/supplies and includes $12,619 for IT. IT will be removed, which will drop the services/supplies to $31,000. Expert witness fees have been included in this budget and have resulted in an
increase. Training was also included in the budget for this upcoming year, which is mandatory. A color printer has been included in capital outlay for $750. Ronda advised Greg that Tracy has assessed a user’s fee for the BD color printer and suggested that Greg use it. The Supreme Court has declared that indigents are entitled to attorneys, investigators and all
things associated with prosecution. Pressure is being put on the state legislature to fund this, but it is unknown what will happen. Greg believes that the legislature will require that the counties fund the indigents, but really isn’t certain at this time what will happen with public defenders. Services/supplies are left at $30,840. $750 printer will remain in the capital
outlay, which still has to be worked through by the Board and addressed. Public administrator will stay within the 3%.

LC Health Nurse budget is addressed now. Jean Lucht reviewed the job description for administrative secretary, which she is requesting become a full time position as opposed to the current contract position. Full time rate would be $13.73 per hour. If Sheila Davis remains an independent contractor there will be no benefits necessary. Independent contractors have to prove to the county that they have insurance in order for the county to be protected. Jean advised that the workload in the office has increased and hours need to be increased for Sheila as well. Paul suggested that Sheila be moved to part time employee, which will give her a raise. All of the funding for this position comes from the county. Increasing her wage to
$13.74 per hour will bring her to $1160 per month, with medicare and PACT coming out of that; she will be covered with industrial insurance and left at 19.5 hours. Leslie advised that she can’t go over 1040 hours per year and if Sheila exceeds that then the county is in violation. Clerical people work seven hours per day and Phyllis works 8 per day. Tommy asked
if this had to be advertised. John responded that, no, it doesn’t have to be advertised as it is just a change in classification. If Sheila is hired full time at $13.73, the wage would be $28,974 with benefits at $8,692 for a total of $37,666. This is three times higher than what she is making right now. Wade suggested that Sheila be made part time, 19.5 hours at $13.73.
$13,922 per year is the total. Jean indicated that she understands that Sheila can’t work more than 1040 hours per year. The Board agreed to bring Sheila up to part time. Wade made a motion to put this position to part time, 1040 hours per year, and pay rate is $13.73 per hour; seconded by Tommy. All voted in favor.

Now discussed is the Juvenile budget.
$5,877 will be removed for IT. Ronda advised that Laura Johnson is being charged for two ports, one of which belongs to the Highway Patrol. This budget falls under the 3%. Alamo Town is reviewed. Capital outlay is budgeted at $8,800 to be used for sewer & water lines to concession stand and for some fencing. This budget falls under the 3%.

RTC is discussed. Wendy advised that they have $454,000 cash and at the meeting the other day they voted to do $400,000. Wendy believes that the ending fund balance reflected in the budget is incorrect. Dan will change this to reflect carryover at about $454,000 with expense to be $400,000. Airport is discussed and falls under the 3%. Airport capital projects will only have $5,000 spent in the current year. The carryover will give approximately $8,000. Capital plan for this is the environmental assessment for Alamo landing strip. Wendy spoke to Doris Metcalf at BLM and they would like the county start the process to do the patent for re-conveyance. Doris believes that it will cost about $11,000. There is $10,900 for the landing strip right now and Phyllis advised that they will find the difference somewhere to fund this. Room Tax is reviewed. Wendy advised that they will not spend the whole $214,000. Dan will carry over $200,000 as Wendy believes that they
will only spend about $14,000. Expense is adjusted to $14,432 for 2008. $10,000 is being transferred for the fair. No monies are being spent this year under Fund 44, which has $28,375 right now. There will be no fair in 2008, but one is planned for 2009. Dan will take this fund to a zero ending fund balance and budget $37,000. The $14,000 in Fund 45 will not be spent this year. This fund will be budgeted at $28,000. Pahranagat Valley Justice Court is reviewed. Dan stated that they’ve requested $5,000 for court costs. The Board agreed to give the additional $5,000 for court costs, for a total of $10,000. Fund 59, Administrative Assessment, has to be turned over to the general fund if it’s not spent every two years. Leslie advised that Alamo uses this fund. This budget will be increased to the full amount and Dan will take it to a zero ending fund balance. Fund 83, Court Facility Fees, can only be used for court facilities. $2,000 is budgeted for Judge Cowley to travel down to Alamo to cover Judge Holton’s court. There is much discussion that this shouldn’t be under this fund. Dan interprets the statute to mean that this money can only be used to purchase a new building, buy dirt to put a new building on or remodeling an existing facility; as long as the furniture isn’t purchased for the Judge’s chamber this fund can be used. Dan doesn’t believe that this fund can be used for the purchase of furniture for MVJC chambers. John advised that Judge Cowley hears cases in his office. Ronda asked if there isn’t someplace where there is a legal description of what the fees can be spent on. Travel doesn’t fit under this category, the Board agreed. Ronda asked if the Board would
consider giving both of the judges a 3% raise. Paul advised that last year they gave Mike a 50% raise and Mike told them that he wouldn’t come back for four years. The Board will not give the increase. The $2,000 under Court Facility Fees is to put a new bookshelf in and do other refurbishing upstairs in the MVJC. Dan stated that he has a problem with this as there is no renovation going on up there. Wade read NRS 176.0611(d). According to a letter submitted by Mike, his office isn’t considered a chamber as the public can wander in and out. The Board discussed the definition of renovation and decided that this is splitting hairs at this point. This letter from Mike makes no mention of renovation, construction or anything related. Mike didn’t advise AOC, who the letter is from, whether or not he renovated. The overall feeling is that the intent of the law is being circumvented. Dan feels that the AA money should be used for capital outlay and this fund
should be used for the renovations in Alamo. Tommy made a motion to have Dan McArthur contact AOC for clarification; seconded Wade. All voted in favor. No decision is made about this $2,000 and won’t be until Dan reports back. PVJC is removing the Judge’s bench, jury box to put in a metal detector and some cameras and some other courtroom security. This is allowable under the statute. Nola has budgeted $85,000 for remodel of courtroom and clerk’s office, computer stations and security system. Nola has brought in approximately $87,000 to accommodate these
renovations. The Board agreed that detail is needed for the request from Mike for $2,000.

Alamo Annex is now examined. Salaries are budgeted at $5,493. $18,540 is left in services/supplies.

Detention Center budget is analyzed.
Kerry said that he tried to make the 3% work but has issues with it. Caliente is considering the 3% on their contract, but there are no guarantees. Raw foods has increased. $14,000 is in raw foods. Kerry said that every category was decreased with the exception of raw foods and propane. $6,000 was removed for training at the academy that was a one time expense, but Kerry advised that he was told at the last budget meeting to remove this. Kerry has no choice; these fellows have to be sent. Normal, ongoing training for the Detention Center is $7,000. The difference between the total budget before and what Kerry is presenting now is $97,000. The Board agreed that Kerry should leave the $6,000 in the budget in addition to the regular $7,000 for ongoing training, for a total of $13,000 in training. Inmate expenses were left at $40,000, but when the number of inmates increases, the inmate expense will increase also. Kerry stated that it is unknown at this point how many inmates he should budget for. $446,511 is the total budgeted for services/supplies. Sheriff is reviewed and Kerry advised that he has the same issue with the need to send officers to academy. Training is at $7,500, which doesn’t include the $3,500 for the one officer that has to go to academy. The Board agreed to move training back up to $11,000. Physicals are mandated by statute and are budgeted to be $6,600.00. Postage will be need to be increased as Kerry is at the limit right now and estimates that he will be over this year based on the number of jury trials. The approximate difference between the original submitted budget and the new one is $50,000 less. $3,000 will be added in for Search & Rescue. $1,281,693 is the total for this budget.

Land Act General Fund is now analyzed and has a projected shortfall. LAGF is where the Rebel Communications contract, $74,000, is paid. $12,614.88 is the amount that this fund will be short for this year. Stabilization will be moved, $150,000, up to services/supplies. When ordinance was written for LAGF, there was approximately $3 million that is earning interest. Within the ordinance, it provides that the Commission can take the interest and move it within these other funds. There is a cash flow problem on this and one other and the Commission can address this shortfall on the next agenda. At this time, the Commission can direct the Treasurer to take the interest out and put it in this general fund. If more is spent than interest being earned every year, then these funds will be wiped out; when this money is gone, it’s gone. Leslie suggested that Rebel Communication can also be paid from a different fund. Ronda will get the interest information on all of the Land Act Funds and put this issue on the next agenda. The Land Act Grant Match is the other fund with issues; this fund will also be addressed on the next Commission agenda. Phyllis advised that money had been taken out of this fund for Senior Nutrition, which wound up putting this fund into the negative. At the next budget meeting, IT budgets and capital outlay will be addressed. John advised that Denise was to have been here
today to present different ways to save money on her budget. Making this a four day program will save about $50,000. Phyllis stated that if this program is cut to three days Division of Aging might cut their funding. If each of the towns and the city pick up the utilities it will save a vast amount of money. Tommy felt that each Commissioner should attend their town board meeting, get on the agenda, and make the request for funding from each town. Ronda advised that a formal letter needs to go out as well; the Board agreed. This will be on the next Commission agenda. Tommy’s negotiation with the City of Caliente includes the facts that very little water is used, garbage is minimal, sewage bears no extra cost and so Tommy is trying to get them to give those to the county for free as well as giving the county the power at cost. Dan stated that all of the SN programs in LC are completely unrelated to the county. They have non-profit corporations that run
everything and LC is one of the few counties left that runs this program. The state still wants the funding to come to the county, who will act as the funnel, to get the money to the non-profit organizations. The county will still be the grantee, but this program will no longer be the responsibility of the county. Phyllis advised that if the county goes this route, it might result in more money from the Division of Aging. This non-profit organization usually consists of the seniors themselves. Phyllis advised that in most of the senior centers, the seniors already have boards set up. All of the county employees’ costs/benefits will change also if they are under this umbrella. This would also allow for the right to go to private organizations for funding, which the county is unable to do. Dan will get some information on this. SLUPAC, $3,040, will remain under Planning.

Emergency Management is addressed. Marge is asking for $13,200 to match the $13,200 that she has in grant funds to move her job back to full time, retroactive to January 1, 2008. Marge has been working part time
and the Board questioned how they would go back and pay her from January 1. Tommy stated that Marge advised him that she didn’t know she’d been cut back to part time until her first paycheck. John disagreed; he spoke with Marge in her living room prior to the final decision being made. John stated that Marge knew well ahead of time. Paul said that he was
told the same thing by Marge, that she wasn’t aware that she’d been cut back until she got her paycheck. Ronda asked if this position be matched up with the ambulance position, to create full time position. Ronda said that a full job description of Emergency Management is needed. A job description was provided approximately one year ago. Marge has removed
herself from many of the committees as she isn’t able to travel anymore. Marge has said the job requires more than 20 hours per week based on the workload. Marge is in a pickle if the Board doesn’t budget the $13,200 as she feels that she needs that amount of time to do her job. The county has budgeted for half time through June with another $33,000 for the
following year. If the money comes from the DOE on October 1, then the position will go back to full time. Wade said that the agreement has always been that if the DOE funded this position then the county would match fifty percent. Phyllis advised that the county has only ever paid ¼ of the salary. The county would budget for half, and then the state would send
a check for ½ of the ½, which would be applied to the bottom line. Paul stated that if the county adds the $13,200 then we are paying ¾ of the salary. The Board agreed that they can’t go back and pay Marge full time for what was recorded as part time. Ronda felt that the EM office needs to be set up in Panaca and the person needs to be located there as well as being very active in the community if they are brought up to full time. Phyllis advised that the Board needs to budget as they always have because if a grant is received for the other half you can’t legally take the money to pay for it; it’s called supplanting. The $33,610 will remain.

Ronda advised that there might be huge issues if the contracts for Tri-County Weed don’t come before the Commissioners. The only way that the contracts don’t have to come before the Board is if that authority is delegated to TCW. TCW isn’t a district but does have an appointed board. TCW board was going to be the one that approved the contracts, not Lincoln. All three counties have to sign an interlocal agreement allowing this. The interlocal agreement is under review with the Attorney General’s office at this time. The Commission signed an interlocal agreement that they can sign their contracts. Rural Transportation Board signed a contract with RCI and Ronda questioned if this contract should come before the Commission for approval. This could be a problem if the Commission says that certain entities don’t have to bring their contracts before the Board, especially considering that JCCIAC and several other boards exist. Ronda stated that she doesn’t have problems with TCW signing their contracts and the reason that this came up is because the TCW guy that was authorized to sign passed away. Authorization is now required for the new guy to sign. Dan stated that because the Commission is an elected board and there are advisory boards, they are just that. Dan feels that it is a great amount of delegation to allow advisory boards to sign $75,000 contracts. These boards are there to advise and the big decisions should come back to the elected board as that is where the accountability and authority lies.
Ultimately, the responsibility comes back to the Commissioners. Wade stated that there are three elected boards to consider in regards to TCW. There is interlocal agreement law that allows for what is taking place to happen; this is the reason that this contract sits before the AG’s office. Wade feels that the TCW is a different animal compared to JCCIAC and other advisory boards. The other advisory boards within this county will have to come back before the Commission, who will approve and sign the contracts. The Board agreed that the contract between RTC and RCI for $75,000 should’ve come before the Commission. Advisory boards are in place to make a recommendation. Ronda stated that John needs to write a
letter to all advisory boards stating that all contracts must come before the Commission for approval. Day to day house keeping is delegated to the advisory boards, but certain levels of contracts need to come before the Commission. If these boards don’t sign their own budget then that makes the Commission responsible. Ronda didn’t have a problem with the
contract as it moved through, but she is questioning if this isn’t the board that the contract needs to move through. It is agreed by the Board that if the Commission is the one signing the budget and is responsible for the “dollars coming through”, then they should be involved in any contracts coming through. Next budget meeting is set for April 4 at 9:00 a.m .

#3-PUBLIC COMMENT
Phyllis advised that Tom Harris is putting on another workshop on 3-31. Ed Wright said that in 1999 the Emergency Management person told the existing board at that time that she would be retiring the very next year. Ed stated that it has reached the point that someone younger needs to be in the EM manager position. Also, the Commissioners need to look at
who is in charge of the fire district in Panaca.

#4-ADJOURN
There being no further business for the Board to attend to, Paul made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 4:16; seconded
by Tommy. All voted in favor.


Attest: ______________________________________________

Approve: ______________________________________

 



About Us | Site Map | Web Site Policy Statements | Contact Webmaster| Web site by JC Enterprises