Official Website for Lincoln County, Nevada

www.lincolncountynv.org

Lincoln County Home Page > Meetings > County Commision Meeting Minutes

PROCEEDINGS OF THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF LINCOLN, STATE OF NEVADA


January 14, 2008


#1-CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL/INVOCATION/PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

The Board met in special session with Chairwoman Ronda Hornbeck calling the meeting to order at 1:03. Clerk Lisa Lloyd called the roll with Commissioners Tommy Rowe, Ronda Hornbeck and Bill Lloyd being present. Commissioners Paul Mathews and Wade Poulsen is absent, but there is a quorum present. The agenda was posted on January 8, 2008 to comply with the open meeting law.

#2-TOQUOP PLANNING AREA
Clint Wertz presented this item and reviewed the Toquop Planning Area Large projects. The last step for BLT is getting the development agreement before the Board for approval/signature. The project for today is the Olympia Group for Highlands. This is for parcels A & H in the Land Act Area and the conceptual plan and development agreement will be discussed. Clint stated that the packet doesn’t contain every piece of information, but the full application packet is in the Planning Office for review. Tentatively this will come before the Planning Commission (PC) for approval next month. Ken Dixon advised that the development agreement still has some unresolved issues and staff still has some problems with this agreement.

#3-LINCOLN HIGHLANDS
Matt Davis, Stephanie Allen, Chris Armstrong and Bob Gronauer are present from Olympia. Matt addressed the Board and offered a power point presentation/overview of Olympia Group. Matt offered a presentation concerning the Lincoln Highlands Planned Unit Development Conceptual Plan. C&O Holdings are the current title holders to the land. Lincoln Highlands will be doing the actual development of the land. In the auction, they bought parcels A & H, which consists of just over 5,000 acres.

Matt advised that they are using the Summerlin strategy to create their development. Some of the development challenges include: water, power, habitat conservation plan, transportation, sewer, police and fire, natural gas and communications. There is currently no infrastructure in place. Getting water to this community is the biggest challenge that they have at this time and it will have to be brought in from quite a ways away.

There has been progress on the following fronts: major roads—traffic study, flood control—drainage study, water system—master water, waste water and reclamation study, power system—LCPD master study, natural gas—working with South West Gas and others. All told, when this project is complete over $300 million will have been invested in land improvements.

Development Timing includes: Development Agreement—March 18, 2008, 1st Village Plan—Mid 2008, Detail Engineering—End of 2008, Begin Construction—1st Quarter of 2009 and Model Homes—End of 2009. Every two years a new village will be developed. Stephanie Allen reviewed the Development Agreement (DA). NRS 278 provides for development agreements under master planned communities. This agreement is between the county and developer. Details are included such as density and duration of agreement.

The Development Agreement contains: intent of the parties, development of the planned community, public facilities, water conservation, reuse and sanitation, traffic, flood control and other provisions. They are proposing four units per acre for the density. Three golf courses are planned as well. Parks and open space include 8 acres for each 1,000 resident units as are park amenities. Elementary Schools will be up to 10 acres, or 350 students. Middle Schools are up to 15 acres, 525 students. High Schools will be up to 430 acres, 1400 students. The developer will build the first school. As the population grows, there are triggers within the agreement that will require the building of additional schools. The first school built will be K-12. Rick Hardy advised that the first building will ultimately be used as a middle school. It will be built to house about 500 students.

Bob Gronauer addressed the public facilities. The intent is to make sure that the developer has enough public facilities to be maintained in the master planned community. The other intent is how it will be paid. The payment for these facilities has to be on a Pro Rata basis for all developers in the Toquop area.

Bob advised that there have been discussions concerning an inter local agreement with police. A temporary structure would need to be put in place to cover fire/police. $50,000 would be put up for a temporary modular facility to house police/fire. Fire suppression vehicle would be brought in as well. Olympia will work hand in hand with the Sheriff’s Office to have private security. Private security will be put in place at the time that the initial equipment/materials arrive on site. This PS will last at least a minimum of at least 2,000 building. They will work with the SO concerning costs for man power.

Bob reviewed the government facility studies, which will be on a 7 ½ acre campus. The county will not purchase this parcel and it will be dedicated to the county at the time of completion of construction of all three buildings. Bob reviewed the fire facility, which construction will start with the 1,000th construction permit. $1.97 million is what Lincoln Highlands will contribute for the fire facility up front and they will provide 2 fire engines and one EMS vehicle at the time of completion of facility. They are looking to get reimbursed by the other developers for this initial investment. The construction of the sheriff facility will commence at the same time as the fire facility. 2,000 residential building permits will see completion of the facility. The Sheriff contribution cap will be $2.1 million. One of the things that they’ve agreed to do with the Sheriff is to write a $40,000 check for radio communications. This check will be issued upon the issuance of the first earth moving permit and will allow for the purchase of necessary equipment for the radio communications in this area.

The satellite government facility will commence at the 1,00th construction building permit. Contribution will be $1.3 million for this facility and completion will be at 2,000th construction building permit. Approximate amount of contributions for facilities is $6 million. At the time when these buildings are complete, the county will be expected to operate the facilities. The county will not be required to operate facilities until six months after completion/dedication. The reimbursement agreement includes all developers in the Toquop area paying for their Pro Rata share. Olympia will take the risks and then will ask that the county work with them to make sure that the other developers pay their portion of the Pro Rata share. One of the things that will insure that all developers will pay is that after the approval of the agreement, within so many months an ordinance will be adopted that requires all developers in the area to do a development agreement and fulfill the obligation of the Pro Rata Share. When these two obligations are satisfied, the moratorium will be lifted.

Chris Armstrong reviewed the development standards and design guidelines. All trees/plants will be drought tolerant. The Inter Local Agreement would be between LC and Mesquite and would be to provide fire/police to the property. Ken advised that they are currently working on this agreement. Olympia is not a party to this agreement, but they’ve worked on facilitating it.

The 7.5 acres will be reserved for the county and Olympia will work with the county on design/budget. The county will inspect it and at the time of completion, when all construction is finished, it will be dedicated to the county. All three facilities will have staff at this point in time as well. Prior to that, Olympia will be looking at temporary facilities and there will be an overlap to cover necessary services. There are plans for hospitals, churches and other required buildings. There is no definite plan for location that is outlined at this time. All these uses have been allowed for and when the villages are presented staff will make certain that all of these have been accommodated. Matt stated that they like to think that they’ve accommodated all businesses and all amenities that will be required for the community. There will be some restrictions on distances from various uses to make certain that a big shopping center isn’t located right next to custom homes. Ronda advised that she like the sidewalk placement in Southern Highlands.

As parks are located Olympia will be working with the other developers to make certain that parks, schools, etc., will be located in proper locations throughout the entire Land Act area. Rick Hardy advised that so many acres come with each type of school and they will be looking at locations that will best suit the people that live there. High Schools will be planned according to what will exist at build out. Rick is comfortable with the planning of the villages and the estimating of population. Schools will then be built based on these numbers as opposed to one centralized location. The plan is to locate schools close to parks as well, which will result in the shared use of facilities. The developers will build the first one school, which school will accommodate grades K-12. The idea is that the fire engines alone and EMS vehicle are a completely separate cost. The building structure itself will include the furniture, desks and fixtures. The ordinance will be to make sure that all developers are responsible for their portion of what Olympia pays on the front end.

As the roads through the area are started in the project, there are a number of entities that could take over the roads. At the end of the day, the developer needs to turn them over once they’ve been completed. Ken advised that this is one of the things that the county will be looking at. At this time, the county is not equipped to maintain the roads. If a GID was created, the county would still be responsible for maintenance. Ronda is concerned that the county, through the GID, will have to be paid for that service. At that time, if it comes to that, the county would take over the GID and resources.

Doug Carriger stated that it was an excellent presentation. Ken offered thanks for the presentation of the timeline. Matt stated that it is an ambitious goal and water is a critical issue at this point. The Habitat Conservation Plan needs to be moved through as well. Ken advised that the HCP will not go into the National Register until completion of the public review. The current market situation has an impact on the various developments in NV. Matt stated that they don’t build homes, they build communities. They are hoping that in 2009 the market will improve. There are many casinos that will be opening up, which will result in more jobs and hopefully an improvement in the housing market.

#4-PUBLIC COMMENT
There is no public comment at this time.

#5-ADJOURN
There being no further business for the Board to attend to, Bill made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 2:49; seconded by Tommy. All voted in favor.


Attest: ____________________________________ Approve: __________________________________


About Us | Site Map | Web Site Policy Statements | Contact Webmaster| Web site by JC Enterprises