Planning and Zoning Department
February 12, 2009
LINCOLN COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION
PO Box 329, Pioche, NV 89043
Phone 775-962-5345, Fax 775-962-5347
Minutes for February 12, 2009 6:30 P.M. Meeting
Lincoln County Court House, Pioche, Nevada
1. Roll Call, Open Meeting Law: The Board met in regular session with Vice Chairman Glennon Zelch calling the meeting to order at 6:30 P.M. Planning Coordinator Dawne Combs called the roll with commissioners Steve Combs, Sue Austgen, Glennon Zelch, Spencer Gray and Ross Stirling being present. Varlin Higbee and Kaye Medlin are absent. There is a quorum and the agenda was posted on February 4, 2009.
2. Discussion/Action Item: Continuance of Special Use Permit hearing for Great Basin Transmission, LLC for a 500 KV overhead electrical transmission line and ancillary facilities, starting at the North Lincoln County line and extending 110 miles south to the Clark County line. Zoning along the corridor is primarily A-5 (Agriculture) with small portions of Industrial and Residential lands. The Master Plan designation along most of the corridor is Public. The project will enter Lincoln County east of MP 6 on Hwy 318 (Nye County) and traverse Cave Valley, Muleshoe Valley, Dry Lake Valley, Delamar Valley and Coyote Springs Valley into Clark County.
Clint states that the revised conditions of approval were sent out late last week, he gives the Board a copy of the conditions. Clint explains that this item was continued from the last meeting in order to work through some of the issues related to financial securities and building permit fees, he states that there was a meeting on January 30th between the applicant, several Board members and himself, at this meeting the big items were worked out. Clint informs the Board that there have been some other minor changes with the conditions of approval also; he has revised the exhibits to reflect the outcome of the meeting on January 30th. Clint recommends approval with the attached conditions of approval and exhibits, at this time Clint goes through the conditions and exhibits with the Board. Steve Combs states that he is concerned with the language in paragraph 2, of Exhibit B; it states that they have 30 days to cure each deficiency; he does not feel this is acceptable if there is some serious degradation of the roads, the County would want something more timely than the 30 days, especially if there is some major damage to the roadway. Steve asks if the applicant does not reimburse for the County’s time would they be in default of the special use permit and what would the County’s recourse be other than having the letter of credit in place. Clint states that we have the surety and the exhibit will be attached as a condition and yes that would put them in default of the special use permit. Steve asks if any of the other Board members have any response to the maintenance of the roadways, Ross states that there are people who use the roads everyday in order to get to their livestock and if they cannot get through that is a huge problem for them. Clint asks that if the road is passable would the 30 days be acceptable, but if the road is impassable it would need to be a shorter time frame. Ross states that it would be nice to find out where the grazing would be taking place, although they are not out there all year long it would still be nice if the applicant would get together with the grazers so they can coordinate some of the issues, as they can let the applicant know where their water lines are running as they are not buried very deep and he does not want to see the applicant having to do a lot of repairs. Ronda Hornbeck asks if it is a requirement that the applicant contacts the grazing permit holders, Spencer asks if they are not suppose to contact BLM so many days in advance before starting work, Clint states that there is a condition that is related to this. It is stated by the applicant that they are required to coordinate with all the grazing allotments. Glennon asks if the statement in #7; “would limit or alter access to watering areas” a little too narrow and should it just be taken out, Clint states yes and he will take it out. Clint states that the last exhibit relates to the building permits and the applicants wanting to have a certainty to what costs are involved, so if the Board approves this application tonight it will be a package deal and will lock the building fees in. Spencer asks if the prices are good for the 5 year duration, Clint states that they are good for the duration of the project. There is some conversation concerning the building permit fees and if the project is delayed would they still be good numbers, it is stated that they would be as they are fairly aggressive fees, Clint states that if there is an extension granted then that opens the door to revisit some of the items in the original approval. Clint states that staff recommends approval but will change the wording on the 30 days to cure each deficiency wording in the conditions to encompass something about public safety. The applicant states at this time that they do not feel this will become a problem as they will also need to access the roads also, so they are willing to bump the 30 days down lower. Steve makes a motion to approve the special use permit with staff’s conditions, seconded by Sue, motion carried by all in attendance. 7:00 P.M.
3. Department Update/Review:
a. Review of planning department work plan and staffing levels.
b. Public Land Use Plan and Open Space Plan efforts.
c. GIS Planning and database server development and installation.
d. Model development Agreement development with Mark White
e. Staffing Plan proposal
f. Tischler Bise Fiscal Impact Studies
Clint updates the Board on the addressing project, he states that approximately 95% of the letters have gone out and that the department has been working with the public on any corrections. The next phase will be sending the letters to property owners with more than one address on a parcel. The big issue has been roads that do not have street signs on them; he will be working with the Board of County Commissioners and the road department concerning this. He explains that the next step will be the coordination with the 911 system and the telephone company.
Clint updates the Board on the department work plan; he gives the Board a list of the ongoing projects. He talks about meeting with Mark White and what was discussed with the development agreements, the template development agreement should be completed the end of February early March. He updates the Board on the fiscal analysis study and the model that will be created for the County to use in the future, this should be completed within 5 to 6 months. The GIS needs assessment is about 1/3 of the way done, this will create a 5 year plan and how we can get County staff trained for GIS and take it completely over. The Open Space Plan is now underway with the consultant and they have had their 1st meeting. The Public Lands Policy has been started and they have had their 1st meeting, this should be completed within a year. Clint goes over some of the other plans on the list and whether they have been started or slated to be done in the future.
Clint informs the Board that refilling the GIS position was denied by the Board of County Commissioners, so he is going to request the money that was budgeted for this position is transferred to the GIS fund and we will utilize those monies to enhance the GIS program. 7:30 P.M.
4. Discussion/Action: Review of Planning Department Budget
Clint updates the Board on the planning departments proposed budget, he goes through the numbers with the Board and explains what the expenditures are. He also goes through the Land Act funds and that if you do not budget for the funds then you cannot request to spend the monies within the budget year, he gives a breakdown of what he would like to spend the monies on. Sue asks what a solid waste plan is, Clint states that the County is required to update the plan every 5 years and that the County is not in compliance with this. 7:37 P.M.
5. Public Comment: No action will be taken on any items discussed in public and board comment, but items may be placed on a following agenda for action.
Clint states that he has spoken with Varlin concerning the business license ordinance; Varlin has requested that Clint put together a letter to the Board of County Commissioners to state some of the concerns of the planning department. At this time he goes through some of the concerns with the Board. Clint asks the Board if they have any concerns with the way the ordinance is written, the Board talks about some of the concerns they have. 7:50 P.M.
6. Set date and time for next meeting: March 12, 2009 @ 6:30 P.M.
7. Adjourn: Ross makes a motion to adjourn, seconded by Spencer, motion carried by all in attendance. 7:57 P.M.