Planning and Zoning Department
LINCOLN COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION
PO Box 329, Pioche, NV 89043
Phone 775-962-5345, Fax 775-962-5347
Minutes for May 14, 2009 6:30 P.M. Meeting
Lincoln County Court House, Pioche, Nevada
1. Roll Call, Open Meeting Law: The Board met in regular session with Chairman Varlin Higbee calling the meeting to order at 6:30 P.M. Planning Coordinator Dawne Combs called the roll with commissioners Steve Combs, Sue Austgen, Kaye Medlin, Varlin Higbee, Glennon Zelch and Spencer Gray being present. Ross Stirling is absent. There is a quorum and the agenda was posted on May 5, 2009.
2. Minutes approval or denial/corrections for February 12, March 12, 2009 & April 14, 2009: Motion made by Glennon Zelch to approve the February 12, 2009 minutes with the correction of so to be some in the 2nd to last sentence of item #5, seconded by Steve Combs, motion carried by all in attendance, Varlin Higbee and Kaye Medlin abstain, Motion made by Steve Combs to approve the March 12, 2009 minutes, seconded by Sue Austgen, motion carried by all in attendance, Kaye Medlin abstains. 6:36 P.M.
3. Discussion/Action Item: Special Use Permit for Dawn Bradshaw-Lloyd to run a 10 X 20 Mini Spa/Facial Room business at 3900 Barbara Street, located in Highland Knolls off of US HWY 93 by MP 102, zoning is RR7 (rural residential – 5 acres) APN #013-190-18
Dawn Bradshaw-Lloyd takes the floor and explains that she primarily does facials, but also does body treatments and full body waxing in her business; she explains that the business will be run out of a room that they have built and that there will only be approximately 1 to 2 people a day coming to the business. It was asked what the outcome of the notices sent to advise the other property owners, it is stated that 32 letters were sent and we received 12 responses, 1 objection due to traffic concerns & privacy and 11 no objections. There was some discussion concerning the roads and the concerns over them. Steve asks what days Dawn plans on having the business open; she states that she will probably be doing business on Friday, Saturday & Sunday but she does not have a set schedule at this time, she states that most of the time it will probably be done in the evening due to the babysitting situation. Dawn explains some of the work she will be doing & the products that she uses. Steve states that his concern is traffic due to the roadway being gravel and the distance from the highway, he is concerned with people traveling the road at night due to the drain pipe, Clint asks if putting reflectors up would be helpful, Dawn states that she does not foresee people traveling in the dark on the road. Steve states to Dawn that the special use permit can be revoked so his concern is that people do not start complaining about the traffic on the road, so it would be in her best interest to make sure her clients go slow to help keep the dust down. Dawn states that she understands the Boards concerns. There is some talk about what type of license Dawn has in order to be in this kind of business and what all she can do under this license. Glennon asks how long the special use permit will be good for, Clint states that the Board has options for setting the length of the permit. Varlin asks Dawn what type of investment she will need to do in order to start her business if the permit is approved as he does not want to see her invest a lot of money and have the permit revoked at a later date, she states that the room is already built and she already has all of her equipment so she would not have any investment at this time. Glennon makes a motion to approve the special use permit for 1 year at which time they will review the permit, Steve states that he would like to amend this to state that it stays an owner/operator business, seconded by Steve with the amendment, motion carried by all in attendance. 7:05 P.M.
4. Review of Model Development Agreement developed by White & Smith:
Clint explains that he would like the Board to review the model development agreement and write down any remarks so that they can go through this at next month’s meeting in order make a recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners. Clint explains that the purpose of this document is for the future when a development agreement is required by the County; we will then have something to follow. Clint states that he would like the Board to consider any type of project that could possibly require a development agreement when reviewing the model. Clint states that shared facilities should be addressed in the model; due to the previous development agreements that have been done and the way they are addressed in those agreements. There is some talk concerning shared facilities for development agreements and what was missed in the previous agreements that have been done. 7:20 P.M.
5. Department Update: Clint shows the Board some newspaper clippings; one is concerning the bankruptcy of one of the developers that is under the Olympia Group. Clint tells the Board about the water ruling out of the State Engineers office for the Tule Desert which effects Toquop, there is some discussion concerning the water for the Toquop development. The other newspaper clippings are concerning renewable energy.
Clint informs the Board that there is talk that Coyote Springs will be coming in for amendments to their development agreement, one of the reasons being the solar facility that they would like to have on the Lincoln County side of the development. Clint states that we have received phone calls within the last 2 weeks from 3 different companies concerning power corridors. There is some talk concerning the taxes that could be generated from these corridors and different solar projects in the County. Clint informs the Board that the base station has been installed and is ready to go. Clint
talks about the projects that we are doing with the assessor’s office. He talks some about the survey that was started by the Bullock’s and that the County will need to designate control points in the County that all surveyors will need to use moving forward. There is talk about the previous surveys of the County and that the surveyors have not used the same control points when they are surveying. Clint updates the Board on the Open Space Plan, he states that the surveys have gone out, there were approximately 1,000 mailed out. He explains the importance of the surveys and getting responses back on them. 7:47 P.M.
6. Public Comment: No action will be taken on any items discussed in public and board comment, but items may be placed on a following agenda for action.
There is no public comment.
7. Set date and time for next meeting: Meeting is set for June 11, 2009
8. Adjourn: Glennon makes a motion to adjourn, seconded by Steve, motion carried by all in attendance. 7:49 P.M.