Planning and Zoning Department
LINCOLN COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION
PO Box 329, Pioche, NV 89043
Phone 775-962-5345, Fax 775-962-5347
Minutes for October 29, 2009
6:30 P.M. Meeting
Caliente City Hall
1. Roll Call, Open Meeting Law: The Board met in regular session with Vice Chairman Glennon Zelch calling the meeting to order at 6:40 P.M. Planning Coordinator Dawne Combs called the roll with commissioners Ross Stirling, Spencer Gray, Glennon Zelch, Susan Austgen and
Steve Combs being present. There is a quorum and the agenda was posted on October 21, 2009. Varlin Higbee and Kaye Medlin are absent.
2. *Minutes approval or denial/corrections for September 17, 2009: Motion made by Sue Austgen to approve the minutes for September 17, 2009, seconded by Spencer Gray, motion carried by all in attendance.
3. Department Update: Status report on; Alamo Industrial Park Master Plan, Fiscal Impact Study Draft, Open Space Plan and Public Lands Plan.
Kaye Medlin joins the meeting at this time.
Clint updates the Board on the Alamo Industrial Park Master Plan, he states that Sunrise Engineering completed the draft approximately 6 months ago and from the draft the County has decided on a 4 phase project on how the land would be divided. There is a master plan for the 240 acres; this would be commercial and industrial property. Clint explains how the County is looking at how this land would be divided and the improvements that would be required for this land.
Clint updates the Board on the Fiscal Impact Study, at this time there is a draft that has just been sent to Clint. Clint explains what the fiscal impact study is looking at in the County. He states that typically residential does not pay for itself; it is the commercial uses that will pay for itself.
Clint updates the Board on the Open Space Plan. He explains what the plan will be looking at, he talks some about once the parks are built and how they will be maintained in the future. He states that through the land act the County will have the opportunity to identify up to 15, 000 acres for parks and how the funds received by the County can be utilized. He states that the County should have a draft of this plan sometime next week. He explains that this plan can help identify lands that the County does not want disposed of and lands that the County does want disposed of.
Clint updates the Board on the Public Lands Plan. He explains that at this time the County does have a draft of this plan, he explains that this is basically the master plan for public lands in the County. He explains that this is an update of the original plan and has been expanded greatly. He states that this plan should be completed by the end of this year or the beginning of next year and will be put in front of the Board of County Commissioners for adoption.
4. Planning Commission Training:
A: Due Process
B: Outline of Planning Commission Meeting
C: Standards, Criteria, Findings & Conditions
D: Public Lands Policy Plan
Clint presents a power point for the Lincoln County Planning Commission and the City of Caliente Planning Commission. The Boards have been given a packet with some training materials included. Clint goes through the power point at this time. Clint explains what takings are and the different kinds of takings there are. Clint explains what a staff report is and what having a staff report done for items that are in front of the Boards can do in case of appeals and/or court proceedings. There is some talk about conditions of approval that are attached to a decision by the Board and how they actually protect the people and the County’s or City’s. Clint now goes over how a Planning Commission meeting should flow; the Board’s have been given an example of a meeting. There is some discussion concerning open meeting law. Clint now goes over Standards, Criteria, Findings & Conditions and how important this is to document. Clint explains the process of notifications for certain applications and how important it is to set up a good filing system for all applications that you receive, there is some discussion with the Boards about the items that are required for different types of applications and staff reports. Clint explains what the Public Lands Policy Plan means to the County and that he needs both Planning Commissions to go through the plan and make comments.
5. Public Comment: No action will be taken on any items discussed in public and board comment, but items may be placed on a following agenda for action.
Dawne reminds the planning commissioners that there will be an open meeting & ethics training on November 10, 2009 at 10:00 A.M. and 1:00 P.M. at the Lincoln County Court *-House and everyone is encouraged to attend the training.
6. Set date and time for next meeting: Meeting will be held November 12, @ 6:30 P.M. at the Lincoln County Court House.
7. Adjourn: Motion made by Spencer Gray to adjourn the meeting, seconded by Ross Stirling, motion carried by all in attendance. Meeting adjourned at 8:07 P.M.